We are neither.
We have no personal interest in, or allegiance to, any medium.
Our only purpose is to fight bullshit, hyperbole and words without meaning. We are against zealots, maniacs and hustlers of any stripe.
Yes, we are vociferous in denouncing people who tell us that
We would be equally vociferous in our denunciations if traditional media hustlers were saying that
As a matter of fact, you will find that we have been just as voluble in our disdain for the "brand babbler" wing of traditional advertising as we are for cult members of The Divine Church of The Internet.
- digital marketing is dead
- the web is dead
- there is a new species of consumer who no longer share information about products
- tv has “changed everything"
There are many smart, reasonable people working in digital media who do not make preposterous assertions; who do not think that social media is the answer to every question; who do not speak in dreadful, impenetrable jargon.
We respect and appreciate these people.
All we want to do is get our readers to understand:
- the risks and rewards of all media investments
- the difference between facts and “buzz”
- that success stories (both digital and traditional) tend to find their way into print but failures get buried
- that the “narrative” that has arisen about social media marketing is largely anecdotal and substantially fact-free.