Nonetheless, I have given it a chance. I've been on it for about 8 weeks now, and I'm ready to issue my final report.
It's a mixed bag.
1. I stand by my initial evaluation that, for the most part, it's how the narcissistic keep in touch with the feckless. This opinion has only been reinforced by the growth of celebrity Twittering and the phony sense of "community" it has engendered in the foolish and impressionable. I also stand by my initial opinion that about 5% of if is useful and 95% is worthless.
2. I still believe that, for the most part, Tweets fall into two obnoxious categories:
- Idiotic stream of nothingness
- Thinly disguised self-promotion
- To promote this blog
- To follow what is being said about this blog in Twitterland.
4. While most of the claims about business uses for Twitter are overblown, I can see how Twitter can be useful:
- as a tactical tool for retailers. It allows them to reach a lot of people quickly and cheaply with an offer ("Save $5 on a pizza tonight.")
- as a customer relations tool. However, this is tricky and must be done seriously and expertly. It has the potential to really piss customers off if it's seen as simply a promotional gimmick.