August 13, 2009

A Humble Suggestion To Improve The Economy

I have an idea. It's not a big idea, it's a small one. But in these times, with deficits running into the zillions, I think every little bit helps.

Here's my suggestion. I think we should use our laws for two years.

This way, every other year we can send all the federal, state, and municipal lawmakers home and let them get back to annoying their families, instead of us.

This will save us a lot of money and, honestly, who's gonna know?

I mean, if we only need a new president every four years, why do we need new laws every year?

I don't think we have a shortage of laws. I think there are plenty of 'em. And if we're careful, we ought to be able to squeeze another year out of 'em.

If you don't have enough laws where you are, I'm pretty sure my friends and neighbors here in California will be happy to let you use some of ours.

Every year they make thousands of new laws, and to tell you the truth, I can't really tell the difference. I mean, what was the difference between, say, 2005 and 2006? Did all those guys really need to sit around for a year and make up laws?

We can make the idea palatable to both liberals and conservatives by giving it a fancy name like "The Legislative Conservation Act of 2009." We'll tell them we're just trying to preserve our precious statutory resources.

Here are some the other benefits of this idea:
  • Less shouting on cable tv
  • Reduce the number of political blogs from a trillion to just a few hundred billion
  • We'll lessen our dependence on foreign oil and reduce global warming because congressmen won't be flying around on "fact-finding" missions every half hour
  • Maybe with more free time they'll get better face lifts and hair plugs
  • Maybe lobbyists will start buying us fancy dinners once in a while
Frankly, I think we can do just fine re-using last year's laws. They weren't so bad.

No comments: