January 09, 2014

Strange Tales Of Christmas


Apple's mobile operating system -- iOS -- is used on the iPhone and the iPad.

The iOS system has a small share of the mobile device market. Only about 13% of mobile devices (phones and tablets) use it.

Google's Android system is the clear and dominant leader with about 80% of worldwide share.

And yet, there are some very strange data coming out of this holiday season's mobile retail sales.

A study released by IBM shows that although Android use is far more widespread than iOS, in the U.S. about 5 times as many Christmas shopping transactions were done on an iOS device than an Android device.

This is in line with data collected during the Thanksgiving season as well, and confirms previous findings that people use their iThings differently than their DroidThings.

Another interesting stat is that the average purchase on an iThing is over twice as large as the average DroidThing purchase.

These are not just little anomalies. These are huge differences that I'm sure have enormous implications for marketers (although what the hell they are, I have no idea.)

One of the underlying differences is probably related to income. The average iThing costs more than twice as much as the average DroidThing.

It may be that while iGeeks are using their devices to buy each other something, Droidoids can only afford to send each other pictures of their naughty bits.

By the way, I've seen your naughty bits and I'd rather you buy me something.

7 comments:

acmasterpainter said...

Sounds like a case that companies should "go where the money is" and focus on iOS apps?

There is the other truism, "wherever the majority are going, go the opposite way" so like with Mac v Windows it made a lot of sense because Windows wasn't that great, and it was good not to reboot daily while PC user colleagues seemed to pull their hair out daily, but in this scenario, not sure of the merits of an "iOS type" going against the Android grain and making a conscious decision not to own an Android device. The operating system seems to work really well and has an 80% user base so development is healthy and swift.

Anyway, unlike my comments, your blog continues to be a useful and good read, happy new year.

Rory said...

There are many reasons, but yeah, been true for ages. We notice this ourselves on our PPC accounts, and on any social activity we do: iOS dominates in terms of providing engagement and sales.

Jim said...

The iOS users are a totally different tribe when it comes to engaging with brands. So as they engage more with brands on-line and end up supporting more brands where as the android community are less engaged with brands on-line and in their ecosystem.....Only kidding. Happy New Year.

Fred said...

Ha! I expected you to be shot dead by TAC before I even finished reading that ...

Cecil B. DeMille said...

All of that shopping still represents a tiny fraction of overall online shopping revenue. I dunno if this is a story or not. I do know that I don't really care. I don't shop on my phone, the least secure of all mobile or computing devices. Too many wardrivers spiking WiFi signals and swiping data en route. Happens more than you think.

The New York Crank said...

Let me try another theory. I have no idea whether it's even vaguely valid, but here goes.


Apple products in general are the perceived gold standard of quality and price. Therefore, when people are giving gifts in the triple digit category, they pick the brand that says, "I am not a cheapskate, and I really care about you." It's rather like giving the girlfriend a shiny something in a Tiffany's box instead of a Zale's box. Or buying her Victoria's Secret underwear instead of Jockey Briefs for Her (if there is such a product.)

Heather Physioc said...

I don't know who to blame for this ... device/OS-makers, UX designers, retailers, myself ... but I own both an Android phone and an iPod touch, and given the choice and available wifi, I will choose to use my iPod touch for all internet activity every time. Granted, I have a crappy Android device that doesn't work like any respectable smartphone should, so maybe it's not a fair fight.