November 05, 2008

Dangers Of A Biased Press

I voted for Barack Obama and I'm glad he won. I hope he becomes a great president. Lord knows we need one.

Now the bad news. I've been thoroughly disgusted by press bias in his favor.

As someone who is a "communications professional," I have a healthy regard for the difference between what I do in advertising -- advocacy -- and what the press is supposed to do -- report facts.

Press favoritism has reached an outrageous and dangerous point in this country.

It was clear from the day he started running that the press was in Obama's pocket. Anyone who couldn't see that is either a fool or didn't want to see it. I've included some links below but for those who just want the topline:
  • By 8 to 1 Americans think the press wanted Obama to win.
  • In the last months of the campaign, the press carried three times as many negative stories about McCain as about Obama.
I have every reason to believe that Obama is an honorable man. But what if the press decides to adopt someone who isn't honorable? The fact that they rolled over for my guy gives me no solace at all.

We are living in a nasty, troubled world and we need the best press we can get. Instead, we have a bunch of arrogant, snotty, know-it-alls who believe we need their advice on how to think. They are tough on the people they don't like and fawn on the people they do.

I have no use for the self-righteous, god-botherers of the Republican right. But they're dead right about one thing -- the "media elite" in this country are a fucking disgrace.

Some links:
  • Washington Post here: "Coverage of McCain Much More Negative Than That of Obama".
  • Pew Research Center here: 8 to1, Americans think press favored Obama.
  • Founder of Harvard Media Center and Democratic Fundraiser here: “I am absolutely outraged with the media coverage of the presidential campaign.”
  • ABC News here: Opinion piece by disgusted reporter.

No comments: