After semi-painstaking analysis and consideration, however, I am happy to report that advertising is way down at number eight.
To develop this list I did two things. First I eliminated all occupations that are obviously scams -- like palm reader, astrologer, and economist.
Second, I used only one criterion in creating the list:
Do they really know anything or are they just making shit up?
Okay, drum roll -- The Ad Contrarian Top 10 Bullshit Professions:
1. Career Counselors: If they knew anything they'd find themselves better jobs.
2. Clergymen: God-bothering bullies masquerading as holy men.
3. Psychotherapists: Practitioners of the world's most advanced form of pseudoscience.
4. Politicians: Insufferable egotists pretending to be "public servants."
5. Branding Consultants: Why didn't I think of this scam?
6. Art Critics: Thankfully, no one pays attention except rich twits.
7. Actors: We tell them where to stand. We tell them what to say. They win awards.
8. Ad Executives: You can build a career by memorizing 10 cliches.
9. Financial Advisors: Monkeys throwing darts.
10. Third Base Umpires: One call a game if you're lucky.