July 01, 2008

One Year Later

Today is the first anniversary of The Ad Contrarian blog.

Ten days into it I thought I had run out of things to say. Apparently I have a bigger mouth than I imagined.

Five Things I've Learned About Blogging This Year:
  1. It ain't easy being entertaining every day. Or ever, for that matter.
  2. The biggest asset a blogger can have is insomnia.
  3. The professionals (the ones who blog for money) are way better than the amateurs (people like me.)
  4. There are an alarming number of lifeless, dreary, poorly written blogs about advertising and marketing that are way more popular than TAC. I'm bitter.
  5. It's better to be wrong and interesting than right and dull.
I Want To Thank All The Little People:
And a few big ones. First, thanks to my frequent commenters: John Joss (you really need to start a blog), Tedel, Giania, Timothy Coote, GirlPie, Roger, James, Jay Ramirez, Sonia, Shanty and all the others. It's the commenters that make blogging interesting and I thank you for keeping me on my toes.

I also want to thank the people who've had nice things to say about TAC on their blogs. These include Timothy, ad broad, Brian, Sonia, Naomi, James, Cory, StreetShark, SottoVoce, Michael, Marc , Marblehead, David, Simon. If I've left you out, I'm sorry. To the people who've had nasty things to say, screw you.

Here's The Interactive Part:
I would like an anniversary present from you. Please copy the paragraph below and email it to 3 smart people. If you don't know 3 smart people, send it to 3 marketing people.
There's a blog I read that I think you might like. It's called The Ad Contrarian. You can find it at http://adcontrarian.blogspot.com. Hope you enjoy.
And Another Thing:
This blog is a personal thing. I try to keep it as far away from my business as possible (it doesn't even have a link to our company website.) The reason for this is, I don't want my partners to feel like they have to answer for my stupid opinions.

Nonetheless, this week we ended our 4th consecutive record year and I have to thank all our great people who make it happen. I also want to thank the new clients we're working with this year (Horizon Organic, Pebble Beach, and Rachel's), and of course, all our long-term clients (you know who you are.)

Afterthought:
I've done all the thanking I'm gonna do. The anniversary party is over. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

PostAfterthought:
Okay, just one more thank you. Thanks, gentle reader, for a fun year.

No comments: