March 11, 2009

What About The Research?

Last week I wrote about the Tropicana package massacre.

The question I would love to have the answer to is this: What about the research?

I've been around Pepsi people (the owners of Tropicana) and their kind, and I can assure you they don't wipe themselves without first researching which hand consumers prefer.

Somewhere, I guarantee you, there is a very big deck that demonstrates conclusively that the dearly departed Tropicana package was a dream come true.

I wonder if anyone is going to hold the research firm accountable? (That was a rhetorical question. Research firms are never held to account for the stuff they generate.)

Or I wonder if the research was done in-house by the agency? (My guess? Yes. That way they can control the process and be certain of a beneficial outcome.)

I wonder when the marketing community is going to realize that they can get an equally reliable prediction of the success of creative endeavors, at far lower cost, by flipping a coin.

I'd love to see that Tropicana research deck. I'll bet it's a classic.

I forgot to thank Bonnie Miguel for the lovely graph last week. It was the only part of the post anyone liked. Also David Popino for the Fritter page yesterday.

No comments: